Monday, October 25, 2010

October 10, 2010

I arrived home late the evening of October 9th.  Spending time with my children are moments I will cherish.  I fell asleep on the couch and when I woke up the next morning it wasn't long when my phone rang and it showed "dad" was calling.  I had no idea that a nightmare was about to begin. 

I missed the call and phoned back immediately with no answer.  Thinking he had gone to the bathroom, I waited 5 minutes and called again.  There was still no answer.  A few minutes later the phone rang.  I didn't even think about the time change of 2 hours when the phone rang.  Jet lag, or just shear exhaustion of running all week, it just didn't hit me.  However when I said hello daddy, and it wasn't his voice, there's that split second you think it is a wrong number.  However the voice was the cook from the assisted living home, and she stated that dad had fallen and was taken to the hospital.  I knew it was bad because of her voice.  If ever you have had that deepest fear, I think that is what overcame myself at that moment.  I hung up, looked at my daughter and stated I needed to get home and would probably be back to catch another plane to get back home.

Who do you call?  It is a long weekend in Canada and the only person I could think of who would be home was the old neighbour, however, I didn't have his phone number.  Then the thought of did anyone call mom?  Distraught starts to set in.  Calling the hospital would give me no answers and I knew that.  So the neighbour received my call and he was more than willing to go.  The call back later was that he had shattered his shoulder in 3 places and was in a lot of pain.  They were transferring him from St Paul's to RUH.  I spoke to mom who I could tell in her voice I needed to be home.  I scheduled my flight for the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment